Photo

Keeping Photography Fun -- How do YOU do it? What do you shoot?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 OFFLINE   RMSteck

RMSteck

My clients are real bears ;)

• ILP Gold Active
  • 2,578 posts
  • 870 thanks
  • Joined 23-January 07

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

I always try and give myself a day or two after my "real work" to shoot for me. Once I have the shots of the lodges, the people smiling, and all of the un-fun stuff I try and get out and shoot for myself. The locations are usually so beautiful and filled with amazing things to shoot so I try and take the time while I am already there.

In Costa Rica for example I had to shoot birds and snakes *shudder* which are really not my thing. I get board quickly with them unless they are hummingbirds which I do enjoy with multi-flash. I photographed birds and snakes for four solid ten hour days. The next two days I spent shooting monkeys, waterfalls, and red eyed tree frogs which I love.

Here are a few of the things I loved shooting while there. :)

Posted Image
Costa Rica by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
Costa Rica 8 by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
  • Eddie and Romana like this

#17 OFFLINE   Iliana

Iliana

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 3,542 posts
  • 529 thanks
  • Joined 12-December 05

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

We try and travel somewhere new every year, just DH and I and leave the kids behind with the grandmas! I love having the camera around my neck at all times and just snapping for ME. Not worrying about the perfect picture or pleasing a client.... just snapping away for ME. I love that my camera can help me capture an image so vividly I can keep the memories so alive and feel like I am there for years after... So much beauty in this world! Here are just a handful of my faves, I have hundreds sitting in folders that I have not looked at in a while! These include a tiny island in the Indian Ocean, Antigua, Greece and Rome...

Attached Images

• zDSC_0383.jpg
  • cocobay10.jpg
  • zDSC_0176.jpg
  • cocobay8.jpg
  • galleybay13.jpg
  • zDSC_1830.jpg
  • planerome.jpg
  • zDSC_9865.jpg
  • oldboat.jpg

• Shannon Stroubakis, ElleRae, DarcyD and 2 others gave thanks for this

#18 OFFLINE   LauraS

LauraS

ILP Member

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 659 thanks
  • Joined 04-June 10

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Photography became fun for me again when I stopped dealing with people who wanted more for less. I was always chasing a client, the wrong client because I "just wanted to shoot". Then last summer when I was pregnant and it was a difficult pregnancy I stopped photographing others and went back to my own children. It made me love my camera again and I was at it every day. Now I'm back to clients and I am happy. But the right client. I will never again sell myself short.

#19 OFFLINE   kitkat

kitkat

Specializing in Teddy Bear Portraiture

• Members
  • 4,547 posts
  • 1569 thanks
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:42 PM

Macro is my happy place. It is what I do for "fun" or when photography begins to frustrate me. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

But I'm also finding chasing chooks around to be pretty fun too. LOL
Posted Image
  • ElleRae and DarcyD like this

#20 OFFLINE   kitkat

kitkat

• Members
  • 4,547 posts
  • 1569 thanks
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Just call me "Thread Killer"! :tongue:

#21 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

haha, Nancy!

Seriously though, really beautiful work! The spider is outrageous. :)

--Eddie.
  • kitkat gives thanks for this

#22 OFFLINE   Jeni Green

Jeni Green

ILP Member

• Members
  • 3,177 posts
  • 734 thanks
  • Joined 22-March 08

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

I shoot concerts!!!

Posted Image

music was my first love. I was a vocal performance major in college until I switched to psychology. Music has been the BIGGEST part of my life. Add my absolutely love for photography in, and i go to a very happy place every time.

#23 OFFLINE   kitkat

kitkat

• Members
  • 4,547 posts
  • 1569 thanks
  • Joined 24-January 07

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:33 PM

I always try and give myself a day or two after my "real work" to shoot for me. Once I have the shots of the lodges, the people smiling, and all of the un-fun stuff I try and get out and shoot for myself. The locations are usually so beautiful and filled with amazing things to shoot so I try and take the time while I am already there.

In Costa Rica for example I had to shoot birds and snakes *shudder* which are really not my thing. I get board quickly with them unless they are hummingbirds which I do enjoy with multi-flash. I photographed birds and snakes for four solid ten hour days. The next two days I spent shooting monkeys, waterfalls, and red eyed tree frogs which I love.

Here are a few of the things I loved shooting while there. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Costa Rica 8 by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image

Ruth, these are amazing! Love the frog!
  • RMSteck gives thanks for this

#24 OFFLINE   Amy Clemons Photography

Amy Clemons Photography

ILP Member

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • Joined 05-March 12

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:01 AM

Concept shoots! I love being able to design an entire shoot, go all out and plan it out for as long as it may take me and shoot just for me!

#25 OFFLINE   laura4410

laura4410

Professional Momtographer

• ILP Advanced
  • 2,092 posts
  • 871 thanks
  • Joined 03-May 10

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

I havent even started for money yet, and already trying to get to that point has sucked out some of the fun for me. I am way to focused on the technical. Tomorrow is my daughter's 6th birthday. I am making it my goal to follow her around like the flippin papparazzi and snap images galore. I will edit to MY liking, not the standard. And all will be well. This is an interesting post because I am already struggling to find the balance so its interesting to see so many pros that struggle or still struggle.

#26 OFFLINE   littlelife

littlelife

ILP Member

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • 134 thanks
  • Joined 17-December 09

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

Like many others have said, I take time for just me and photograph what I like the most. For me that is Newborns (strangely enough) I love that I get cuddle time with them, usually while mom and/or dad is changing I've even been offered several times to feed the baby (bottle of course) for those times when mom or dad want a complete moment to get changed together...It's bliss!! I have one child who is 6 and can't have anymore so this is my favorite way to make my life fulfilled at this time.....While I love my son so very much, I was short-cheated on the ability to have another. I so much desired for my son not to be an only child.

#27 OFFLINE   Stacie

Stacie

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 13,765 posts
  • 6238 thanks
  • Joined 25-August 07

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:00 PM

Those macros are amazing!

#28 OFFLINE   Lisa Holloway

Lisa Holloway

ILP Member

• ILP Pro
  • 8,128 posts
  • 3724 thanks
  • Joined 10-May 07

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

I'm loving the pics and ideas in this thread! Super love the frog above, and the macros...gorgeous!

I try to mix in a fair share of sessions that *I* want to do (NOT paid) with the paid stuff. I love not having any expectations and just being able to do what I want...no worries about money, or disappointing a client, etc.

Here are a few pics from recent 'for me' sessions.

This young lady was featured on Toddlers & Tiaras (not in the best light I might add). I've always thought she was gorgeous, and made plans to do shoot with her. My favorites were the ones we dressed her and my daughter up in vintage dresses for. Oh, and she was a total sweetheart in person...NOTHING like how they made her out to be on that show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was a gift/practice session. I shot this little family last spring (paid) and became friends with Mom. She will be hiring me again this spring for updated family shots. I wanted to gift her a newborn session and get to practice newborns at the same time. It's an area I really want to improve in. I had so much fun! I'm actually going back tomorrow with some fresh ideas. I can't wait!

Posted Image

Posted Image

In the mean time, I'm TOTALLY avoiding this rodeo shoot I got suckered into doing. How do you all work through sessions that you hate? lol

#29 OFFLINE   GinaH123

GinaH123

ILP Member

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • Joined 22-September 09

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

I find that shooting flowers to just have fun works for me. I have learned recently that I honestly LOVE working for clients. It isn't stressful and I actually lose track of time very easily while working with them. Before I know it I have 'lost' 3 hours!

#30 OFFLINE   ellierose79

ellierose79

ILP Member

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • 63 thanks
  • Joined 03-June 12

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Ive done some paid work but I don't enjoy that.

For me the fun is all in the planning.

Shopping for props, waiting for the right time and then the buzz when you look at your results and love them.
  • Eddie gives thanks for this