Photo

Keeping Photography Fun -- How do YOU do it? What do you shoot?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,475 posts
  • 3831 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Whenever I feel like I haven't made a picture that's thrilled me in a while, I ask myself: Am I controlling my images too much? Am I being way too technical? Am I forgetting to inject into my client work a good dose of my creative side? Have I shot for myself lately? Is this fun? :)

The other day I did a shoot purely for the fun. No pressure to succeed (well, maybe there was a little of that, haha). The process itself was refreshing and invigorating, no matter the results.

Posted Image

How do you keep photography interesting and fun? Do you shoot outside of the people category? Street photography, scenics, macro closeups? Self portraits? Care to show some of your non-portrait work?

So tell me, show me, how do you do it? :)

--Eddie.
  • RedStone and Shannon Stroubakis like this

#2 OFFLINE   Kari

Kari

Buh-bye.

• Members
  • 6,088 posts
  • 943 thanks
  • Joined 27-August 06

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

I quit shooting for money. :)
  • isabeau71, tjdec91, PattyMac and 9 others gave thanks for this

#3 OFFLINE   Cotswolds Chap

Cotswolds Chap

Soli Deo Gloria

• ILP Gold Active
  • 7,507 posts
  • 1985 thanks
  • Joined 20-July 07

• ILP Manager

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:10 PM

Ditto Kari - though slightly differently...
I only shoot professionally for those I like :D
otherwise - just for me...
My design business & photo library brings in the income

Alasdair
  • Kari, ElleRae and dain like this

#4 OFFLINE   Melissa Palomo

Melissa Palomo

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 5,727 posts
  • 913 thanks
  • Joined 05-August 07

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

LOL Kari! Seriously. I just got back from Thailand and have never felt more inspired shooting. I am sad for all of the photos I didn't take, for once. Three years ago in Ireland, I barely took out my camera. Last year in Amsterdam, I did ok and took more photos... but Thailand? Oh dear - the colors, the people, the textures, the dogs... so much to see and do. I want to be a travel photographer - for me. :rofl: I don't know how that could pay the bills but I just need to find someone to finance my adventures - LOL. :)

Posted Image
  • RedStone and diamante67 like this

#5 OFFLINE   Stacie

Stacie

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 13,765 posts
  • 6238 thanks
  • Joined 25-August 07

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Like Kari, I don't do it for money (much).

I focus mainly on my art photography these days and I only take a handful of paid clients.

Holgas may be frustrating as all get out but they are never boring and always fun :)

#6 OFFLINE   LyndaC

LyndaC

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

• ILP Pro
  • 3,555 posts
  • 380 thanks
  • Joined 22-October 06

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

I have a concept diary, I regularly write down things I want to shoot, and then I plan them out. I have one next weekend I'm really excited about. It is a family shoot but every detail is planned out.

I also, just go street walking when I can, look for different angles, viewpoints, and shoot from the hip. Travel is the best, it is what I enjoy the most, but I'm sure that is because it is for enjoyment and for me and no one else.
  • danalyn78, LittleMother and lechildsspp like this

#7 OFFLINE   fierces

fierces

ILP Member

• Members
  • 1,359 posts
  • 522 thanks
  • Joined 23-April 10

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

I only photograph friends and family:)

And even if they don't want their picture taken, I laugh at the outtakes...

And when I get a photo that I just love, it's totally worth it!

Thanks for posting this, Eddie. As much as I've been buried in the prepro "rules" lately, this is a good reminder to keep it fun.
  • dain gives thanks for this

#8 OFFLINE   Andrea Joki

Andrea Joki

I am a fuzzy bunny

• ILP Gold Active
  • 19,513 posts
  • 8808 thanks
  • Joined 25-September 06

• ILP TradeShow Vendor

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

For me, it's about shooting with others and being inspired by their vision and examples. We have an amazing community on ILP and knowing/working with other photographers has really been the highlight of being a photographer for me.

I also take the time to do 1-2 conceptual shoots a month. Find a model and do a TFP situation where I can set up everything myself.
  • dain gives thanks for this

#9 OFFLINE   EaC

EaC

ILP Member

• Members
  • 2,230 posts
  • 1213 thanks
  • Joined 20-January 11

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:54 PM

It remains fun for me because I shoot for myself all of the time. It is how I clear all of the ideas out of my head. I think that is why it is always fun for me. I love connecting with people, and I love styling shoots, and I love the rush. I keep it fun by shooting 2 times a month, just my concepts, just for me.

#10 OFFLINE   flowertreephotography

flowertreephotography

Jeni

• Members
  • 4,392 posts
  • 1750 thanks
  • Joined 16-December 10

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

The 52 week project I am doing this year has kept things fun and fresh. Not only getting to shoot the theme each week, but seeing the ideas of others in the group and their take on the theme as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Jane B

Jane B

ILP Member

• ILP Advanced
  • 7,814 posts
  • 3062 thanks
  • Joined 30-March 07

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Jeni beat me to it :)

I'm doing the weekly photo challenge this year, having done 52 photos last year and the 365 project the year before that.

I don't take it too seriously and don't worry if I don't achieve technical perfection, but I experiment and mess around with ideas. Or just do snapshots sometimes.

#12 OFFLINE   Romana

Romana

Enjoying being alive

• ILP Gold Active
  • 4,448 posts
  • 4000 thanks
  • Joined 05-November 11

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

I love this thread: Mess around with a model in studio on TFP basis. Shoot landscapes and street photographs on holiday. Actually shooting for clients is quite stressful :) a buzz, but stressful

#13 OFFLINE   jeanpro

jeanpro

Life is Good

• ILP Gold Active
  • 5,156 posts
  • 1493 thanks
  • Joined 06-March 06

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

When I stopped doing every type of photography to get business. When I started out, I took pictures of baseball games, portrait parties, architecture, real estate, .and the list goes on. About 3 years ago, I started saying no and began only doing shoots that I knew I would enjoy and because I am doing what I love, my work is better for it :)
I stopped comparing my work to others.
I am constantly writing down ideas and half of the time executing it :P
I am always trying to push myself creatively and technically so I don't get bored and am always challenged.
I take small breaks from my camera so I can get rejuvenated.
Honestly, my personal work and my business work is so much fun now because of the above. :)
  • bridgett, michlyn, DarcyD and 1 other gave thanks for this

#14 OFFLINE   IreneS

IreneS

ILP Member

• ILP Advanced
  • 2,058 posts
  • 721 thanks
  • Joined 27-March 10

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

Getting the guts to say "I do not shoot weddings". That was VERY hard to do. Crazy, but true.

But, other than that, I still need some help sometimes. I don't shoot nearly as much for fun as I used to. I have lots of grand plans to join in all kinds of photo projects, but most of the time, I never participate.

I am hoping it is just a late winter slump. I am sure some warmer weather and some sign of greenery will re-energize me!

#15 OFFLINE   CathyK

CathyK

ILP Member

• Members
  • 3,420 posts
  • 2239 thanks
  • Joined 03-February 09

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:13 AM

"Fun" for me is shooting for no reason or without a specific purpose. It's meeting a group of friends at the local conservatory or in the city with cameras in had, learning from each other, pushing the limits of our knowledge, and being around people who understand what I'm talking about and why this hobby makes me happy. It's about taking a shot like this and having people tell me why they like it. I knew I liked, but didn't really understand why I did. I still don't. I'm not sure it's technically correct. I'm almost positive it's not, but it doesn't matter. "I" like it! Through this hobby, I'm learning that art is subjective and that makes me happy!

Posted Image
I am finding that macro photography is fun. It would probably be more fun if I had a real macro lens, but that will come, in time. Flowers and bugs and such stand still, they don't complain about heat or the cold or get tired of me! They make learning fun because they are cooperative subjects!
  • kathleenrcollins gives thanks for this