I thought it would be fun to do a spot check on what's in your camera bag right at this moment. Please excuse if you've done one of these lately, but I haven't in a while, so thought I'd peek in my bag and see exactly what ended up there after my last session.
I try my best to keep things simple and light... and still I feel like I'm carrying too much sometimes, haha. This below was what my bag looked like today, my last shoot having been an outdoor session, and doesn't include all the big stuff that always gets carried in a rolling studio bag (tripod, reflectors, AB lights, etc.), and put in my car's trunk.
Image taken with a Lumix LX5 point & shoot, with popup flash:
Here's a list of what's there:
- LowePro Commercial AW camera bag in the background
- Nikon D3 with 85mm f1.4, with dedicated lens hood
- Camera backup: Fuji S3 (yes, it's an oldie!), with 50mm f1.4, with short lens hood, non-rechargeable batteries inside.
- Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro Nikkor lens, with back and front caps. I use this not only as a closeup lens, but also as a normal lens.
- One camera body cap
- Sekonic light meter (which I don't use that much since I usually eye the available light scene and take a test shot and adjust. Indoors with studio light I use it to get in the ballpark with each scene setup.
- One spare Nikon rechargeable battery for D3 (excellent battery and rarely use the spare).
- Flare-Buster hotshoe attachment to block sun flare. Great for my standard practice of shooting into the sun.
- Model release (used not for client sessions but for occasional street photography)
- Little emery board to sand battery/contacts if I have contact issues between any two connections
- Mini level to check levelness of anything
- Spare tripod quick release plate
- Several spare 500mg flash memory cards (rarely needed), in addition to the 2gig card inside the camera
- House electrical adapter that lets me plug into 2-pronged outlets (this has saved me several times in older homes)
Anyone else for a bag-check?! Would love to see what you carry around!