Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hey everybody!

I thought it would be fun to do a spot check on what's in your camera bag right at this moment. Please excuse if you've done one of these lately, but I haven't in a while, so thought I'd peek in my bag and see exactly what ended up there after my last session.

I try my best to keep things simple and light... and still I feel like I'm carrying too much sometimes, haha. This below was what my bag looked like today, my last shoot having been an outdoor session, and doesn't include all the big stuff that always gets carried in a rolling studio bag (tripod, reflectors, AB lights, etc.), and put in my car's trunk.

Image taken with a Lumix LX5 point & shoot, with popup flash:

Posted Image

Here's a list of what's there:
  • LowePro Commercial AW camera bag in the background
  • Nikon D3 with 85mm f1.4, with dedicated lens hood
  • Camera backup: Fuji S3 (yes, it's an oldie!), with 50mm f1.4, with short lens hood, non-rechargeable batteries inside.
  • Nikon 60mm f2.8 micro Nikkor lens, with back and front caps. I use this not only as a closeup lens, but also as a normal lens.
  • One camera body cap
  • Sekonic light meter (which I don't use that much since I usually eye the available light scene and take a test shot and adjust. Indoors with studio light I use it to get in the ballpark with each scene setup.
  • One spare Nikon rechargeable battery for D3 (excellent battery and rarely use the spare).
  • Flare-Buster hotshoe attachment to block sun flare. Great for my standard practice of shooting into the sun.
  • Model release (used not for client sessions but for occasional street photography)
  • Pen
  • Little emery board to sand battery/contacts if I have contact issues between any two connections
  • Mini level to check levelness of anything
  • Spare tripod quick release plate
  • Several spare 500mg flash memory cards (rarely needed), in addition to the 2gig card inside the camera
  • House electrical adapter that lets me plug into 2-pronged outlets (this has saved me several times in older homes)
That's about it! And actually, if I were to leave for a session right now where the goals were undefined (which I like), I would probably add my 35mm f2.0 to my bag just to be ready for slightly smaller spaces indoors. But if it was not going to be indoors, I probably wouldn't take the 35mm.

Anyone else for a bag-check?! Would love to see what you carry around!

:)

--Eddie.

#2 OFFLINE   RMSteck

RMSteck

My clients are real bears ;)

• ILP Gold Active
  • 2,578 posts
  • 870 thanks
  • Joined 23-January 07

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:32 PM

This is good timing. I start teaching (4th and 5th graders) tomorrow so I needed to pack my bag. :)

Expedition 8X (The biggest bag I could find that still fits on an airplane) I have a closet full of bags and I still have not found one I really like.
(2) 1DS markiii
Canon 400mm 2.8L (the beast) with a 2x extender although I rarely use the extender
70-200 2.8L (mini beast)
100mm 2.8L macro
24mm 1.4L

15mm fisheye
(1) 580 exII (main flash)
(1) 430 exII for OFC
Tons of memory cards. I usually shoot with 4GB and 8GB because I fear a card failure
Canon RS-80N3 Cable Release for landscape and macro work
Filters: Circular Polarizing filters and a Cokin filter for my Singh-Ray three stop graduated neutral density filter
Manfrotto 055 Carbon Fiber Tripod with a Really Right Stuff ballhead

Posted Image
bag1 by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr

Posted Image
bag2 by RMSteck Photography, on Flickr
  • Eddie gives thanks for this

#3 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Love your post, Ruth! You must get a great workout trekking around with the 400 2.8 in your bag! Looks like you have a well thought out location setup, thanks for showing!

:)

--Eddie.

#4 OFFLINE   RMSteck

RMSteck

My clients are real bears ;)

• ILP Gold Active
  • 2,578 posts
  • 870 thanks
  • Joined 23-January 07

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

You must get a great workout trekking around with the 400 2.8 in your bag!

It is usually just in my bag for travel. Once I am on location it takes up permanent residence on my shoulder. It isn't too bad carried on my shoulder (much easier than in the bag on my back) and I found a wonderful use for the extra pieces you always end up with when you buy a camera bag. I use them as a shoulder pad to help prevent too much bruising. :)
  • Carlee44 gives thanks for this

#5 OFFLINE   lizcampbellphotography

lizcampbellphotography

ILP Member

• Members
  • 2,738 posts
  • 1130 thanks
  • Joined 19-February 10

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Eddie, I'm a little amazed you can shoot an entire session on a D3 with a 2G card! I'm guessing you're not a chronic over shooter. :)

#6 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Hi Elizabeth. Actually, I am a hopeless overshooter, because I love to hunt for the right expression, posture, moment. Thing is, I rarely shoot raw, so I usually don't need a ton of memory. :)

--Eddie.
  • Robert Watcher, lizcampbellphotography, kalhayd and 1 other gave thanks for this

#7 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Hey everyone!

I've received feedback from a couple of you about concerns regarding posting equipment lists and that it might not be a safe thing to do. Although this had occurred to be before starting the thread, my thought was that since most members have their equipment listed in their signatures anyway, it wouldn't be a big deal. However, in the spirit of playing it on the safe side, I've decided to close and delete this thread today, and we'll move on to something else. Thanks, everyone. :)

--Eddie.

#8 OFFLINE   RGorton

RGorton

ILP Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • 80 thanks
  • Joined 30-December 04

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

So sorry you have to close this and I hope to get my comment in before you do. Just curious, Eddie, are you a tennis enthusiast also? They are always doing the pros' "bag check" on the Tennis channel :-)

#9 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

Hi Roberta! Yes! :) I used to teach tennis before gradually segueing (about 25 years ago) into photography, and I definitely borrowed the title "Bag Check" from the Tennis Channel's clips they do on the touring pros! Thought it would be fun. If you do post your own bag check, that would fine, just know that we still will remove the thread sometime today. Thanks for understanding. :)

--Eddie.

#10 OFFLINE   karameli

karameli

to infinity and beyond

• Members
  • 671 posts
  • 394 thanks
  • Joined 12-January 10

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

Can't everyone just make their own decisions on whether they feel comfortable posting their gear? My gear is in my siggy on the assumption that the local burglars probably don't have ILP accounts.... :)

(...and everything in my signature is always in my bag, plus some cheap Cowboy Studio triggers....so I guess this count as my post, too!)
  • petersenphoto, kateparker and deleted-member12 like this

#11 OFFLINE   SheilaW

SheilaW

ILP Member

• ILP Pro
  • 2,193 posts
  • 114 thanks
  • Joined 29-August 07

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:08 PM

In total agreement with Kara. Seems to me that if you don't want to post your equipment, don't post. (and don't post in siggy)

Great thread, Eddie. :)
  • kateparker gives thanks for this

#12 OFFLINE   Stacie

Stacie

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 13,765 posts
  • 6238 thanks
  • Joined 25-August 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

So, I consider this the bag from which I do my "real" work, so I shot this one :)

It has:

* 2 Holga 120N cameras
* 3 ND filters
* stickum to hold ND filters to camera (not pictured)
* assorted film
* macro and telephoto lenses (120mm. 250mm, 500mm focal lengths for macros. 2.5X for telephoto)
* 430EX Canon speedlight
  • Eddie gives thanks for this

#13 OFFLINE   deleted-member12

deleted-member12

ILP Member

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  • 549 thanks
  • Joined 30-October 08

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

In the Epiphanie (used for my Nikon gear) bag is:

D700
F4
85 1.8
50 1.4
60 2.8 macro
Lensbaby Composer Pro w/Sweet 35 Optic

In my Jill-e (used for film gear) bag:
Crown Graflex 4x5
Hasselblad 500 cm
Nikon F4 mentioned above
Holga with fun lenses
Sekonic L-508 which is all I use for metering film

Shan
  • Eddie and kenzia like this

#14 OFFLINE   kateparker

kateparker

ILP Member

• ILP Gold Active
  • 4,276 posts
  • 1368 thanks
  • Joined 07-October 07

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

I see no reason to close or delete this thread. Grownups can decide if they want to post their equipment or not. It's not like it's a secret that photographers of any caliber have equipment.
  • petersenphoto, RMSteck, Stacie and 6 others gave thanks for this

#15 OFFLINE   Eddie

Eddie

Administrator

• Admin
  • 10,474 posts
  • 3828 thanks
  • Joined 28-January 03

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Let's leave it open then, and see how it goes. :)

--Eddie.
  • Lovinlight and karameli like this